Troina is a medieval citadel at
1121m height, in the province of Enna, surrounded by grazing lands
and woods. It totals almost 11,000 inhabitants.
It was likely inhabited since Antiquity
as relics of the Hellenistic, Augustan, Imperial, Byzantine and
Medieval Ages seem to attest to. In 1062, the town was taken by
the Norman Count Roger thus becoming a major outpost in the Island
The Chiesa Madre, founded in the
11th century by Roger, is the main religious building. The front
elevation is complete with a bell-tower also of Norman origin. Inside,
are three naves ornamented with numerous works of art, such as a
1400’s canvas painting depicting the Virgin and Child and
a 1500’s panel painting depicting San Michele.
Among the minor churches a mention
must go to the Santissima Annunziata and S. Silvestro.
Villa Romana Del Casale
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in